Following a trend in recent years of carbon-monoxide-related deaths stemming from the use of grills and propane heaters indoors, carbon monoxide detectors are now required for all rental properties. The rule took effect January 1, 2013. The Washington State Building Code Council requires a detector on each level of the residence and outside each sleeping area.
While the state landlord-tenant laws do not specify tenant responsibilities for maintaining carbon monoxide detectors, most standard leases assign responsibilities in a similar fashion to those governing smoke detectors. Property owners are required to install the detectors, while tenants are responsible for their maintenance, and are subject to a fine of up to $200 for non-compliance.
Some buildings already have dual smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, but the Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Division recommends testing these at least once a month, especially if they are frequently disabled due to smoke while cooking.
For more information on Seattle rentals, contact your local real estate agent today.